Monday, July 11, 2011

Thoughts on new church

It has been almost a year since Word of Life closed its doors. It has been an interesting journey. I know God has placed us at a free Methodist church to grow us in ways that I would have never thought. I have learned that even though I have been raised to shout to God, pray like a warrior, pray in the spirit forcefully; it is not the only way for God's presence to come. I have sat in a quiet prayer room when we were praying aloud over requests and have felt the power of God fall over our prayer group. It was awesome to feel that when we were so quiet. God spoke to me in the still and the quiet. He can be in the loud sound of the trumpet in battle, but he can also be in the babbling brook. God is so great he can be in both places. He is really taking me to place that my church culture personally is being reshaped. I don't know what his future place for me will hold, but I do know that he is training me and growing me in ways that I never would have guessed. Pastor Chris the youth pastor told me to listen to a message he just heard on tongues. I listened to a pastor(http://www.ajesuschurch.org/topic?id=796&c=1190) teach a message on tongues that confirmed what I already believed and know, but it did raise some questions for me.

The background of this church was not like the ones I have came from. He was teaching about tongues based on Corinthians. The church he came from did not actively speak in tongues. I understood all that he said and it was awesomely Godly teaching but I feel like it lacked some thought. It could be my background in this but what he said was basically this. Tongues is great for your prayer language at home, it edifies lifts you up but it has not place in the church. I love that he acknowledged its place in the private prayer room, and that he admitted openly to his congregation that he does speak in tongues. YES! good for him, he also did talk about the need for the church for prophesy and such. I think that this preacher had the mistaken idea that the Pentecostal churches and Charismatics did not also believe what Paul said. He did not say this, but I can see a church cultural issue here. I know that tongues is a prayer language and it is not meant for teaching. I know that it is not meant to be broadcast from the pulpit as teaching. As a prayer language however I do feel it is needed in the church. God did show me that his presence and spirit can be manifest without tongues so he may be shifting my own paradigm here. When praying over someone to be healed or in general there are things that as people we don't know. The spirit knows. Shouldn't we use the spirit to pray in these situations? Even when people are listening? Also how do people know about speaking in tongues if it is only done in the quiet at home? I understand it is a prayer language and it is not for the main meeting of the church, but what about groups dedicated to prayer? If we try to control it so much are we letting God move? Are we putting the Holy spirit in a box? These are the questions I have right now. We shall see where the lord is taking me with all of this. He has placed me here at such a time as this. :D

No comments: